Tuesday, June 03, 2003

'This looks like a cynical hoax'
"The evidence suggests that the prime minister misled the House of Commons in making the case for war. In some ways, Tony Blair reminds me of the late Robert Maxwell, the tycoon publisher. I knew Mr Maxwell for many years before I realised that he had a quite different attitude to truth and falsehood than the rest of us. What he told you was precisely what suited his self-interest at the time, no more and no less. Whether his statements were right or wrong was purely fortuitous. And he had no shame about it. What Mr Blair says, I have come to believe, accords with what he thinks should be true on moral grounds - Saddam Hussein is a bad man, he must therefore have possessed weapons of mass destruction. But I am not sure Mr Blair has any greater attachment to the literal truth than Mr Maxwell."

No comments: