Saturday, November 23, 2002

Joni Mitchell blasts the Record Industry
In the W magazine interview, she blasted the recording industry as "the most corrupt one of all. They try not to pay you whenever possible."

Venting her scorn on contemporary artists -- including Madonna -- Mitchell said of music industry executives;

"They're not looking for talent. They're looking for a look and a willingness to cooperate. And a woman my age, no matter how well preserved, no longer has the look. And I've never had a willingness to cooperate."

As for Madonna, who was once quoted as saying that as a teenager she had adored Mitchell: "She has knocked the importance of talent out of the arena. She's manufactured. She's made a lot of money and become the biggest star in the world by hiring the right people," Mitchell said.

She has refused to do anything to make her music more salable. "What would I do?," she asked in the W magazine interview.

"Show my tits? Grab my crotch? Get hair extensions and a choreographer? It's not my world," she said.

No comments: